Back to Top

Central Statistics Office

Search currently unavailable

 Skip navigation

CSO statistical release, , 11am

Meat Supply Balance

2017

SupplyExportsDomestic uses
'000 tonnes (carcass weight equivalent)
20151,306907398
20161,367948419
20171,4301,019411

Total supply of meat increased by 4.6% in 2017.

Meat Supply Balance 2017 Figure 1
go to full release

The total supply of meat in Ireland reached 1,430,120 tonnes in 2017, an increase of 63,171 tonnes or 4.6% in comparison to 2016.

Livestock slaughterings increased by 4.9% to reach 1,130,535 tonnes, while imports of meat and meat products amounted to 299,585 tonnes, an increase of 3.5%.

71.3% of the total available supply of meat or 1,019,155 tonnes was exported, and the remaining 410,965 tonnes (28.7%) were used domestically. 

Self-sufficiency in total meat and meat products increased from 269% to 288% between 2016 and 2017, while self-sufficiency in beef and veal increased by 4.2% to reach 683%.