John Hooper Medal for Statistics 2013 Competition
Goal of the competition
The goal is to improve students' abilities to describe their environment with the help of statistics and to use statistics as a tool for making sense of daily life. There will be an international element to the poster competition this year so not only does your poster get a chance to win the John Hooper Medal for Statistics, but, your poster could represent Ireland in the International Statistical Literacy Project poster competition too. Because of this international aspect teachers and students please note that the closing date for competition entries this year, is much earlier than last year, now March 1st, 2013 and also that this year the poster competition has a theme – Agriculture.
Why a poster?
Taking part in this poster competition will encourage students to:
- work as a team
- investigate real questions using data
- use their calculation and graphical skills
- interpret statistical results
- to develop skills in written communication.
Theme of Poster
Posters can be about any topic students choose within the general theme of Agriculture (for example, agriculture and domesticated animals/food/industry/urban development etc.)
The national competition is open to teams of 2 to 3 students, up to 18 years old (born in 1994 and younger), from any part of the island of Ireland. Teachers register the teams.
Please follow this link for the competition rules. Only online poster entries, based on the general theme of Agriculture, will be accepted. Teachers please note if your student are not registered by 1st February, 2013 or your posters are received in the CSO after 12:00 on March 1st, 2013 those posters will not be eligible for inclusion in the competition.
Phases of the competition:
- Registration by teacher by February 1st, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Posters to be submitted by 12 noon March 1st, 2013 to email@example.com.
- Posters will be judged by the national organising committee.
- The winning national posters will be announced on March 29th, 2013.
- Winners (1st place) of the national competition will be awarded the CSO John Hooper medal for statistical analysis. In addition the following prize money will be awarded:
1st Place - €1,600 (of which €1,000 is awarded to the school and €600 is awarded to the student team)
2nd Place - €1,000 (of which €650 is awarded to the school and €350 is awarded to the student team)
3rd Place - €600 (of which €400 is awarded to the school and €200 is awarded to the student team)
One poster will be entered to represent Ireland, in each of the two ISLP age categories, from the highest placed eligible posters.
- February 1st, 2013 Closing date for registration.
- March 1st, 2013 Closing date for entry submissions.
- March 29th, 2013 national winners announced.
How to Make a Poster
Steps in poster making
1. Find a question
2. Collect or use existing data
3. Review data quality
4. Analyse the data
5. Make the poster
See: How to make a poster
- For information on last years winners of the John Hooper Medal for Statistics - Poster Competition 2011 — 2012
- Click here to see the winners of the International Statistical Literacy Project 2010 - 2011
- CSO John Hooper Medal coordinator
Databank and Dissemination
Central Statistics Office
Tel: 021 453 5504