Goal of the competition
The goal is to improve students' abilities to describe their environment (not limited to environmental issues) with the help of statistics and to use statistics as a tool for making sense of daily life.
Why a poster?
Taking part in this poster competition will encourage students to:
- work as a team
- investigate real questions using data
- use their calculation and graphical skills
- interpret statistical results
- to develop skills in written communication.
The national competition is open to teams of 2 to 3 students from any part of the island of Ireland. Students from Northern Ireland must be aged between 15 and 18. Students from the South must be in transition year, 5th year or 6th year. Teachers register the teams.
Phases of the competition:
- Registration by teacher by March 2nd, 2012 to email@example.com.
- Posters to be submitted by 12 noon May 4th, 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Posters will be judged by the national organising committee.
- The winning national posters will be announced on June 1st, 2012.
- Winners (1st place) of the national competition will be awarded the CSO John Hooper medal for statistical analysis. In addition the following prize money will be awarded:
1st Place - €1,600 (of which €1,000 is awarded to the school and €600 is awarded to the student team)
2nd Place - €1,000 (of which €650 is awarded to the school and €350 is awarded to the student team)
3rd Place - €600 (of which €400 is awarded to the school and €200 is awarded to the student team)
- March 2nd, 2012 Closing date for registration.
- May 4th, 2012 Closing date for entry submissions.
- June 1st, 2012 national winners announced.
How to Make a Poster
Steps in poster making
1. Find a question
2. Collect or use existing data
3. Review data quality
4. Analyse the data
5. Make the poster
See: How to make a poster
- For information on last years winners of the John Hooper Medal for Statistics - Poster Competition 2010 — 2011
- Click here to see the winners of the International Statistical Literacy Project 2010 - 2011
- CSO John Hooper Medal coordinator
Databank and Dissemination
Central Statistics Office
Tel: 021 453 5504